Istorija

History

title.jpg

The first terminal of Vilnius Airport was built in the present territory of the airport in 1932 however, it has not survived to nowadays. Aircraft from that terminal were flying the Warsaw-Vilnius-Riga-Tallinn route.

airport-04.jpg

The airport was used as a military airfield during the WWII. The airport resumed its activity as a civil airport as of 17 July, 1944.

During the post-war period, in 1945, the construction of a new airport building was commenced. This building has remained until now and presently is used for the needs of the airlines.

airport-03.jpg

In 1949, the construction of a new airport building was started. This building is used as the arrival terminal until now.

The construction of the airport terminal was completed on 4 October, 1954. On 22 October, the first airport passenger was checked-in for a flight to Moscow. The building housed the airport authority and other airport services, and was also used for passenger service.

airport-01.jpg

The arrival terminal, designed by architects Dmitry Burdin and Gennadiy Yelkin, was built by prisoners of war. The building is made up of three blocks: 3-storey middle block, presently housing the arrival terminal A, and two 2-storey blocks, presently containing the arrival terminals B and C. The first floor inside the building is rimmed by the balcony. The ground floor houses waiting halls. The façade of the building is decorated with arched hovels containing sculptures. The ornamented columns in the centre of the hall and stucco-decorated ceiling have remained until today. The massive chandelier also dates back to the time of the terminal construction

Since 1993, the building has been used as the arrival terminal only.

The building is included into the Register of Immovable Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Lithuania.